We did not get as good a result as we expected from this, though it still isn't a bad antenna. Our build actually had an error in it. The squares should have been distorted into a rhombus, so that the long diagonal is about 1.3:1 that of the other. If the quads remain square, then the antenna has too high an impedance. Distorting the squares, drops this to 50 ohms.
I used 3.2mm (1/8") Mang-Bronze welding rods. These are really hard to bend and
the diamonds are quite small so made several smaller sections and soldered them together. Using 2mm diameter copper would be a lot easier.
The N-Socket is bolted to the back plate (cut from an old copper water tank) with nylon screws.
The antenna is held off of the back plate (1/8 wavelength) by 2mm diameter copper wire (the original plan had coax).
From the front (vertically polarized).
From the Back
Looking down on it when it is aligned for horizontal polarization (i.e. the diamonds are vertical)
This one is a test version spaced 1/4 wavelength off of the relector.